SELFISHNESS, the pursuit of self-interest and self-aggrandisement are the driving forces of Nigerian politicians.
Kogi State Governor, Yahaya Bello and nine other governors, has it was gathered spent the sum of N22.5m to purchase the nomination and expression of interest forms of the All Progressives Congress ahead of the governorship primary.
The sum is almost equivalent to the three-year salary and allowances of a governor which is N23.3m.
According to The PUNCH, the Revenue Mobilisation and Fiscal Commission, a governor’s basic salary is N185, 308.75 while he is entitled to a hardship allowance of N92, 654.37 and a consistency allowance of N370, 617.50 bringing the total monthly package to N648, 580.62 or N7.7m a year.
The total salary and allowances earned by a governor in three years is N23.3m.
APC governors who bought the forms at N22.5m last year include:
1. Governor Nasir el-Rufai of Kaduna State
2. Bello Masari of Katsina State
3. Abdullahi Ganduje of Kano State
4. Atiku Bagudu of Kebbi State.
5. Simon Lalong of Plateau State
6. Abubakar Sani Bello of Niger State
7. Mohammed Badaru of Jigawa State
8. Mohammed Abubakar of Bauchi State (failed to get re-elected)
9. Jibrilla Bindow of Adamawa State (failed to get re-elected)
10. This year, Yahaya Bello of Kogi State
Access Bank Opens New Branch In Osun, As Oyetola Harps On Strengthening SMEs
Maolud Nabiyy: Osun APC Felicitates With Muslims, Preaches Peaceful Coexistence
Border Closure Resuscitates Hope Of Prosperous Nigeria
Muslim Students Charge Privileged Nigerians In Helping Needy
Osun To Move From Civil Service State To Regional Commercial Hub-Govt